
So this weekend was John and I's second year together! Just 2 years ago, John and I went on our first real date in Pensacola, on Valentine's Day. He brought me a yellow rose (him being from Texas, of course) and we went to eat at Hemingway's at the beach. I remember it vividly: not being able to decide what to wear, him coming to pick me up...no where was taking reservations and we had to wait...I had a sinus infection and couldn't taste my food...the awkward conversation. And three years since we first met, here we were in Carlsbad, California. John grilled filet mignon, chicken, squash, and I... well I made the salad and poured the wine. haha. We had a romantic candlelight dinner on the patio, ocean view and sunset - FREE!



On Sunday I decided that church is where I most feel like I'm truly in California. My church is up on this hill that has a 360 degree view. A slit of ocean on one side, the mountains on the other, houses glittering on the surrounding hills with huge powerlines dividing them. Coming from Virginia, everyone wore suits and the girls were black pants with colored shirts. Texas wasn't much different. But in Florida, I entered the Bible Belt, where Baptists are truly Southern and almost everyone goes to church. My church in Florida had an average age of 65 and I was just about the only one without a hat and veil. Now in California, people ride bikes to church in flip flops and if you don't have leggings on you're out of the loop. Some people have on collared shirts and dress shoes, but to be honest I think I could come in my pajamas and no one would care. California is so different from anywhere I've ever lived. I miss a lot of things about the East Coast, but I must say, there is a noticeable difference in even how much time I spend getting ready before I go out. No one cares what you look like. Absolutely no one. You can get away with nearly anything. Oh the places I've been... and the places I'll go.
No comments:
Post a Comment