I hope everyone enjoyed the 4th. We prayed for rain here and finally got it: almost a whole week of it! Should be clear by this weekend and back to sunny blue skies again in south Texas. I didn't get to enjoy any fireworks this weekend, but John and I did go on a bit of an adventure. Just under 4 hours Northwest of Corpus Christi, and about 45 minutes West of San Antonio is a little town called Bandera, known as the "Cowboy Capital of the World". We really just drove through on our way to camping in Hillcountry State Natural Area, but it was a neat little town. We camped out for 2 nights, hiking close to 10 miles during the day, and went horseback riding at one of the many nearby dude ranches. Saturday night we attended a local rodeo that's held each week. Besides the encounters with the wildlife that wanted to take over our campsite once the sun went down, camping was a great time and I want to do it again soon. Most of all, it was good to see Texas as I had imagined it would be: cowboys, horses, longhorns and ranches. Now that's American. Enjoy the pictures below.
For family and friends who have been with me through my journey to become a Marine Corps helicopter pilot... from the the Naval Academy to Marine Corps training and flight school in 3 different states. Now beginning a new life in California, stay tuned for the latest.
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Broken at 2500
That's what the forecast was for today, which for pilots basically means no visual flight above 2500 feet. Luckily, blue skies came through and I was able to finish out my second block of flying. I had a bad run-in with a pretty tough instructor last week but my flight today was a much better "teaching" experience and I'm on my way to the next block of flying tomorrow. It's mostly a review of everything I've already learned, but more advanced. They'll really be throwing in everything but the kitchen sink to make sure I'm safe to fly by myself in 5 flights.
I hope everyone enjoyed the 4th. We prayed for rain here and finally got it: almost a whole week of it! Should be clear by this weekend and back to sunny blue skies again in south Texas. I didn't get to enjoy any fireworks this weekend, but John and I did go on a bit of an adventure. Just under 4 hours Northwest of Corpus Christi, and about 45 minutes West of San Antonio is a little town called Bandera, known as the "Cowboy Capital of the World". We really just drove through on our way to camping in Hillcountry State Natural Area, but it was a neat little town. We camped out for 2 nights, hiking close to 10 miles during the day, and went horseback riding at one of the many nearby dude ranches. Saturday night we attended a local rodeo that's held each week. Besides the encounters with the wildlife that wanted to take over our campsite once the sun went down, camping was a great time and I want to do it again soon. Most of all, it was good to see Texas as I had imagined it would be: cowboys, horses, longhorns and ranches. Now that's American. Enjoy the pictures below.





I hope everyone enjoyed the 4th. We prayed for rain here and finally got it: almost a whole week of it! Should be clear by this weekend and back to sunny blue skies again in south Texas. I didn't get to enjoy any fireworks this weekend, but John and I did go on a bit of an adventure. Just under 4 hours Northwest of Corpus Christi, and about 45 minutes West of San Antonio is a little town called Bandera, known as the "Cowboy Capital of the World". We really just drove through on our way to camping in Hillcountry State Natural Area, but it was a neat little town. We camped out for 2 nights, hiking close to 10 miles during the day, and went horseback riding at one of the many nearby dude ranches. Saturday night we attended a local rodeo that's held each week. Besides the encounters with the wildlife that wanted to take over our campsite once the sun went down, camping was a great time and I want to do it again soon. Most of all, it was good to see Texas as I had imagined it would be: cowboys, horses, longhorns and ranches. Now that's American. Enjoy the pictures below.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment