Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Another rainy day

Pouring down rain...again. And again-seems to be winter in the Florida panhandle. I'm all ready for bed and studied up for my first meeting with my onwing. He's a Coast Guard pilot, and although I have never seen him in real life (only his picture that's up in the squadron), I've heard he's a real nice guy. My flying partner, Robin, tells me he hopes to have us flying by Friday. Can't wait!
Sunset at South Whiting Field
Things have been going well in Florida, and I'm sorry I've been so negligent with the blog. I apologize for the photos as well, since all were taken with a cell phone due to a broken camera. Although I have spent some time with extracurricular activities (i.e. helping John move in up in Meridian, MS; a weekend in Baton Rouge; staining some new furniture I bought; painting my room; becoming a coffee addict; getting my bicycle up to 34 mph going down a hill), I spend most days studying, working out, and every few days I cook a big dish that lasts me several meals. Tough life, huh?
Staining furniture
Lovely dinner for one--yes that is a coffee cup as well
Cows in John's backyard in Mississippi

As I look on the eve of my first few helicopter flights with many, many, MANY hours of studying behind me in addition to 2 weeks of ground school, 2 tests, and 5 initial sims, I feel ready and excited to fly; a feeling I never felt in primary. Instead of nerves, I feel confidence...instead of worry, it is anticipation. Seems to be a common theme around here: all of the students love flying the helicopters. Everyone here loves their job and is passionate about helicopters. These days that is not always the case, and I feel truly lucky to be here.
Squadron Patches
The Mighty TH-57 Jet Ranger

No comments: